Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pro basketball in Anyang

It's was a busy week with the weather changing, kindergarten conferences, an open house, and winter break preparations. Luckily, this week we have Wednesday off for national elections, then it's Christmas!

Although I do work Christmas Eve, I have off a week starting Christmas Day! I can't wait to open my presents and watch my family open theirs. Stores here are all playing Christmas music, too. This will be my first Christmas away from home, but I plan on staying busy over the break and having plenty of Skype dates. Should be a nice vacation!

Anyway, this weekend, I went to a Korean professional basketball game with some friends. It was extra fun because my friend had to buy my ticket since he lost a bet we made one weekend. (He was convinced Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz was from Kentucky. Like candy from a baby; a fool and his money, etc.)

The arena was A LOT smaller than I expected, and we actually walked on the court to get to our seats (only four rows from the floor). Apparently, the Anyang KGC Pro Basketball Club is no Lakers. 


As you can see at the top of the photo, the coaches got big ass banners like the players. Credit where credit is due. I can dig it.

And I don't know if you can tell from this photo, but one of the coaches is actually an American. My friend said each team has a translator for the non-Korean players and coaches. What a tough/interesting job!

We all found our seats just after tip off and immediately made our allegiances clear, well except for one of my friends who just clapped whenever anyone made a basket (guess my friend's gender, quick!). Personally, after much research, I chose to root for Anyang because 1) that's where I live, and 2) I couldn't read/pronounce the other team's name. Their superior jerseys and home field advantage sealed the deal. I'm officially an Anyang KGC Pro Basketball Club fan. Deal with it, opposing team!

Anyway, the game play was a little scrappy, and the black players on each team were by far the best in the paint, but the Korean point guards and forwards held their own. (It was NOT like Michael Jordan and the Looney Tunes in Space Jam, but I can't say the thought didn't come to mind.) The game was definitely less physical than its American counterpart, but the speed and shooting were comparable. 


Although the level of play was more like a mid-high college team, the atmosphere was similar to that of an NBA game. Except for the cheerleaders wearing sweatshirts with rubber ducks, that is. 


For some reason, I don't see this making it's way back to the states... There were a lot of fun mini-games during breaks, though. Never a dull moment! Overall, the game was a blast; and the home team won to boot! It's absolutely something I'll have to do again.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe we could go to a game when we visit? I'll bet dad would like to see it! As for the cheerleaders----ducks??? And what are the ducky cheerleaders holding in their hands? It doesn't look like pom-poms...

    Can't wait to Skype and open presents with you!!!!

    Love ya,
    Mom-moms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll work on it! And the cheerleaders are holding little cardboard basketballs -- very different haha.

      Delete
  2. can I get one of those duck sweaters? For real.

    Miss you!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every comment you leave is just asking me to get you stuff. #OCS. I'll do my best. Miss you too!

      Delete