Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Balentine's Day!

(Note: There is no /v/ sound in the Korean alphabet. They usually substitute the sound with /b/ or /p/ sound, so I heard "Happy Balentine's Day!" all day today!) Happy Valentine's Day to everyone! 

And happy almost-end-of-the-term! In Korea, the school year is divided into two terms. The first term is from the beginning of March until mid-July; and the second is late-August until mid-February, with small breaks between terms. I'm excited because it means I'll get a few days off while my parents are here!

Right now however, we're all really stressed at school because the end-of-the-year recital is TOMORROW! Over the next two days (Friday and Saturday), our 11 kindergarten classes will each perform three unique pieces -- two in Korean and one in English -- for their parents and families. Then next Tuesday, our elementary students will each give a speech or perform in a play only in English. The preparation and pressure has been grueling. There is nothing more intimidating than an Asian mother with high expectations for her children.

So, my co-worker and I decided to use today to catch up on our fun-having with the elementary students! Yay Valentine's Day! 



We made heart-shaped hippos. They all turned into zombies along the way...

My favorite Valentine: 
"Dear Mom, Dad 
Thank my eat
very very I you love"
(The Korean writing says "omma," which is mom, and "appa," which is dad, and "sa rang hae yo," which is "I love you.")

A class picture from awhile ago that I forgot to post^^


2 comments:

  1. OMG....I cannot wait to see you, your school and your class!!!

    I checked out our itinerary and it looks amazing---thanks, again, Laura---so much----I know it was a lot of hard work to plan our trip for us!!!

    See you soon!!! One more week---yayyyy!!!!

    sa rang hae yo,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there when Karen Swan takes Korea! Your class looks like a bunch of gems. Keep up the good work, Rora! If not, I guess you'll be answering to 10 displeased Korean mothers... yikes.

    ReplyDelete