Monday, November 12, 2012

Dealing with tonsillitis and a fever sans cowbell

One week ago, I woke up Monday morning with a tickle in my throat that progressed to swollen tonsils and a high fever by that afternoon. After one of the worst nights of my life, my VP said I could go to the doctor early and come in a little late (I believe one of the other teachers was giving the VP a play-by-play as I complained to her). That the VP insisted I come in late was surprising to myself and all the other teachers as Korean schools RARELY give sick days. This is because both the Korean and foreign teachers are under yearly, salaried contracts, so we get paid whether we teach or not.

At the hospital, I found out I had tonsillitis and got a prescription for some antibiotics. Even more shocking, the VP graciously gave me the rest of the day off, so I went home and proceeded to sleep more than 20 hours. I didn't feel much better and still had a fever. The next morning (Wednesday), the VP insisted I go to a different hospital and even sent one of the school bus drivers to take me there. This hospital was much better and the doctor seemed more experienced, except that he was so surprised when he looked in my mouth, he actually said, "Wow!" out loud. This made me a little nervous. He said the infection was so severe that if I were Korean, he would have taken out my tonsils right away. My first surgery in a foreign country? No, thank you.

Anyway, he wrote me a prescription for some (better?) medicine, and I was on my way again. The bus driver was really sweet and gave me his phone number for when I was finished; so I called him up and butchered some Korean, and he took me home again. The next morning, I was feeling better so I went to school, but after one class, the VP canceled my kindergarten sessions and asked a Korean teacher to assist in my afternoon class. I can't get over how helpful and kind everyone was. I feel very grateful.

In all, the VP gave me an unprecedented two days off and kept texting me to check in. It was really thoughtful and I'm thankful for all she and the other teachers did. A few of the other teachers picked up any of my classes that weren't canceled while I was gone. I felt guilty, but I don't think I would've gotten better were it not for the rest they afforded me (I ended up sleeping more than 40 hours out of the 48 I was home).

Overall, having a severe tonsil infection and fever to start the week couldn't have gone better. I feel bad knowing the VP and administrators might not have been as understanding or helpful were it another teacher who was sick, but I can't be anything but appreciative for how they treated me.

Today, I finally feel 100% -- no lingering stuffiness or coughing from before the tonsillitis, either! And it's just in time, too: My student loan repayment begins today! Oh hello, adulthood, where did you come from?

1 comment:

  1. I hate the thought of you being sick and so far away!!! ;( And sorry about adulthood---it's not so much fun all of the time!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete