Thursday, October 25, 2012

"Laura Teacher, go to hospital!"

So I was pretty sick Monday and when I came in just as bad Tuesday, the Vice Principal strongly insisted I go to the hospital. After the regular school day, another teacher took my tutoring load and I headed to a clinic. Another teacher recommended an E.N.T. clinic specifically for sinus issues. She even drew me a map and wrote the doctor a note that listed my symptoms and said "give me a shot and medicine."

I was really tempted to withhold the note in order to avoid a shot in the butt. But, I gave the note and my Alien Registration Card (which apparently has my insurance information) to the receptionist and settled into the packed waiting room. I was anticipating a long wait, but was pleasantly surprised as people were quickly ushered back and forth from the waiting room in record time.

It was soon my turn and I was pointed back to a room filled with machines that reminded me of old movies in which the computer takes up a whole room. It was just one room; the doctor sat there while patients were brought in one by one. I sat in a dentist's chair and the doctor asked if I spoke Korean. Upon my answer, he asked some questions about my symptoms in English, then sprayed stuff in my throat and nose and poked around a bit. He told me he would give me three days' medicine and then he said, "It is finished." It took less than two minutes.

I was directed into a small limbo room where a nurse gave me a heat lamp/gun to hold up to my nose and mouth. Maybe breathing in warm air helps clear the sinuses? I have no idea, but it turned off and I was good to go. I paid less than three dollars and grabbed my prescription.

Afterwards, I took the prescription to the pharmacy I had visited Monday after school and waited about ten minutes for my pills. They were packaged in tear-away baggies designated for morning, lunchtime, and night. She even separated the lunchtime ones since I would be taking those at work. Oh, and the super cute pharmacy ajumma (grandma) wrote "Lunch" on the bag for me.


Overall, being sick here has been easier than being sick at home: doctors and medicines are cheaper, there are more choices, and offices seem to be run more efficiently (based on this visit and my trip to the hospital for my medical exam back in August). The big downside for me, however, was that I didn't know what was happening most of the time. I don't like that I'm taking medicine that I have no information about. But, since I got the prescription, I have been getting better every day, so I guess I'll just keep taking the mystery medication and hope for the best!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...a well oiled machine-their doctors' offices!

    Most people here don't know what they take when the doctor gives them a script...I know we can read about them, but most still take the drugs even with the side effects!!!

    Glad to hear you're feeling better!! Already love the jumma!!!

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete