Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Moving on up

Success! I am finally unpacked and moved into my new apartment! Some of the upgrades include: hot, cold, and warm water on demand; space for activities/house guests; better location; HUGE closets; neighbors who are teachers at my school; nicer and more helpful staff; and did I mention water? It was quite a stressful move, but now that I'm settling in, I feel much better about this place. In fact, I could live here for a few years... Just kidding, Mom. (But seriously.)

The only thing lacking is the internet (coming Saturday) and a desk and chair, which seems superfluous, but I don't have anywhere to sit and eat besides the floor. I could also use a chair to reach my clothes in my super huge closet. It's that big. You could fit all the gay guys from Glee in there. Actually, that would make me really happy. I wonder what they would sing to deal with their predicament... I'm sure it would be magical.

Before the big move, I attended a couple of festivals in Gwangju, as planned. The Kimchi Festival was a great experience. My favorite parts were making the kimchi -- with one-on-one help from an adjumma (grandma/kimchi guru) -- and tasting white kimchi in the form of a kimbap roll. (I'll add pictures later.) It was a bit sour and a lot less spicy; it was delicious!

The kimchi I made is safely sealed in my (super huge) closet, fermenting away. I'll let you know how it tastes in a few months!

I'll be sure to write more when I get internet at home on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Not funny, Laura! ; )

    So glad you have a better place! You'll have to send me the Kimchi recipe....

    Talk to you over the weekend,
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete