Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day two: Showers, needles, and macaroni

Let me tell you, there is no motivator for getting in shape quite like a fluorescent light and a mirror in your shower. That said, I just got out of the shower, which if you haven't been to Korea, is quite different from showers in the US. First of all, the shower is connected to the sink, so you have to be careful to switch it back from shower to sink afterwards or you could end up trying to wash your hands but getting a good dousing instead. Also, the shower head is handheld but rests in a holder that holds it just so it gets everything in the bathroom wet (see photo). It's not too bad, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Mirror, mirror on the tile, who hasn't worked out in awhile?

I swear I've done more than just take a shower today... This morning, I had my health check at the hospital with another English teacher. We had to get drug tested, our sight and hearing tested, our blood drawn, dental check-ups, and chest x-rays. It was pretty intense, especially because the nurse couldn't find a vein in my arm and had to draw blood from my hand. At least she was nice about it; she said, "Look! Baby needle! It's okay!" In the end, it was okay. The hospital staff was very efficient; it took less than an hour for the complete checks and the place was packed.

After our checks, we headed back to school for some spicy roast chicken and potatoes and spicy cucumber and onion soup. It was very delicious -- and spicy! My afternoon classes went well; I'm only teaching two classes this week because the kindergartners are on break. Nobody poked me in the butt, so I'm counting that as a victory. I also found out there's a student named Jolly and another named Pokey. Do names get any better than that?!

After school, I went to the Lotte Mart down the street; I got some things I needed aaand some things I probably didn't need. One thing I probably didn't need is the macaroni noodles and something I can't believe isn't butter. I'm sure I'll need some comfort food soon enough, though. And with that, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes: Esse nufesso qui dice male di macaruni. (Who speaks badly of macaroni is a fool.) Words to live by.

1 comment: