Thursday, August 16, 2012

8/16: Eating, drinking, and Hades

Yesterday was Korean Independence Day! Most notable fact about Korean Independence Day: There are no fireworks involved.

We did, however, have the day off school. In preparation for my day off and the weekend, I went big time grocery shopping Tuesday after school. Another teacher at my school was just telling me about these "kimbop triangles." Kimbop is Korean sushi -- it's usually very similar to other types of sushi -- but these triangles come in many varieties, including cooked meat sushi.

I like to eat my raw fish meals with extra barbecued meat, hold the fish.

Apparently, all the other teachers eat out every night, but I prefer to cook at home so I can control what I'm eating and how much I'm spending. One Korean favorite is fried chicken. Here, I've included my recipe for my famous Korean fried chicken...

1. Buy fried chicken at the grocery store.
2. Heat it up in a pan.

When it looks like this, you either just started, or it's almost done. Or something in between.

I also got some of these imitation crab sticks Ethan introduced me to last year. They're delicious as a snack! And I think I won something!

Call me Spongebob, stackin' crabby patties.

Besides shopping for, cooking, and eating food, I HAVE been doing other things, I swear. My teaching routine gets smoother every day. The morning classes are a breeze -- 30 minutes with each class of ten is barely enough time to get in, do the work, and get out. I have encountered a few more good names: Dash and Raul. I did teach a Sarah and a Jacob today! Jacob was rambunctious. A lot of the kids are pretty rowdy, but they said it's because English class is like a special to them and/or they come after their school day is over, so they don't think of it as school. 

Tuesday after school, I rode with my Vice Principal to Suwon to be fingerprinted at the immigration office. It's the capital of the Gyeonggi-do province and is only a half hour away. It's population is over a million people, so I might go there again some time to visit. Apparently, a friend from 2009 lives there. I also might just visit to get a sub at Subway...

For the holiday yesterday, I planned to go hiking on a mountain trail close to my apartment, but it rained all day. Instead, I read on my Kindle and downloaded some TV shows and movies. I also got to Skype with my parents and Erica! And Facetime with Larry! Not a bad holiday at all... Hopefully, the rain will stop by this weekend so I can go hiking Saturday or Sunday. 

Otherwise, I might go get a beer somewhere. Apparently, the local foreigner hangout is closed this weekend, so I'll have to whip out some of my Korean: "Soju ju say oh" (give me soju, please). Soju is a Korean rice alcohol that kind of tastes like vodka, but maybe a little sweeter. I've also heard there's a few different flavors, but I've only ever had the regular kind. It goes down smoother than vodka, but hits a bit harder later. 

Korean drinking is very ritualistic, with many customs involved. For one, if anyone's glass is ever empty, the other person is obligated to fill it. So, if you are done drinking, you should leave a little in your cup, or else your company will fill it right back up for you. No one should ever have to pour his own drink. Another custom is that, as a sign of respect, the younger drinkers turn their heads while taking a shot with their elders, so they don't see you drinking it. The younger also pours for the elders first, and positions his or her glass lower than the others when raised to cheers. I'm sure there are many others to which I'm not privy, but I'll be sure to do some field studies soon.

Finally, on my way home today, I spotted this fine example of Engrish (amusing Engrish web site):



"It is hard to get to the top.
However, because is near, there is number of quality car.
By hades club if want it red rope for binding criminal
A fine article is not as can enjoy a person.
There is a fine article to car" 
I guess I shouldn't laugh; I'm sure this is what I sound like when I try to speak Korean. Or Spanish. Message received: Don't get a bumper sticker (both the literal and tattoo-y kind) in another language without doing some serious legwork.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious!!! I must try your fried chicken recipe!!!! Barbecued sushi...yummm!!! Love the "Engrish" bumper sticker!!!

    ReplyDelete