Thursday, September 6, 2012

9/06: The hills are alive

One of my favorite things so far happened today during my elementary class.

While writing some spelling words, one of the newer kids started singing "do re mi" to himself. Another kid immediately popped up from his work to yell "Ko-ree-an!" as they always do when someone speaks Korean (because they get checks/demerits for it). I explained to them that the scale is the same in Korean and English, then sang the scale to prove he was technically speaking English, too.

No checks were given. Everyone seemed satisfied with the outcome. Then the first kid started singing "Doe, a deer, a female deer..." and another kid joined in. Then another.

My (appropriate) reaction:


Wide-eyed, I couldn't help but sing along as my entire class sang the Sound of Music song from start to finish, including the part where they freestyle at the end: "la ti ti, me so so, re fa fa, la ti ti!" Impromptu musical!

My students who only know how to respond to "how are you?" with "happy" or "sad" know the Sound of Music song! (Okay, some parts they were just singing gibberish, but still...) It was all just so unexpected.

We took almost ten minutes of class singing, then talking about the lyrics and what they mean. And man, was it fun. My face hurt from smiling.

Just another day in the Kimchi Kingdom...

3 comments:

  1. Did they "start at the very beginning?"!!!

    I would've been in tears---love that song and especially with the little kids singing it---that would've been priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... the barefoot flash mob.

    ReplyDelete