Monday, September 3, 2012

9/03: New students, new friends

Just finished up some dinner. Kimchi, some green stuff, some yellow stuff, some meat stuff, and some rice. Pretty good stuff.



My $3 dinner!

School was good today -- a few of my five-year-old kiddos weren't there today, and I found myself missing them! I seem to have the opposite problem in my first grade class: we got two semi-new kids today. They used to be in the class, but left for a few weeks to do other things. Since the class is in the block of time right after school, kids often take up other activities like swimming, Tae Kwon Do, and Lego building (no joke) and then return after the workshop is finished. So, in the past two weeks, I've jumped from four kids to seven in my lower class.

The most difficult part is reincorporating them into the class. For instance, I don't know if I should  make them read our story from the beginning or just pick up where we are... Luckily, their English seems decent.

On Friday, my Alien Registration Card came so today I opened a bank account! The other teachers said all banks have tellers who can speak English; I did not find this to be the case. When I first walked in, I just waved my passport around until someone said "account," then I filled out a few forms (thankfully they were in Korean and English), and shared umpteen frustrated/apologetic glances with the teller. I was glad I learned how to say "I'm sorry" last week. The strange thing is that when I did say it, (I'm pretty sure) she said "No, I should be sorry." Almost everyone I've met in Korea in my three (non-consecutive) months here apologizes for not speaking English at some point. I wish I could tell Koreans to stop being sorry they don't speak English. I'm in THEIR country and they apologize for not speaking my language. Anyway, mission accomplished. I now have a sweet Hello Kitty bank card. Typical.

Speaking of exciting things, this weekend I went to a friend of a friend's concert in Suwon. My journey began with this baller of a bus driver who would get out and smoke at red lights. I'm not sure which is scarier here: riding on a bus or taking a taxi, but at least the bus is cheaper. This bus driver gave Evel Knievel a run for his money. I've decided taxi drivers run about 70% of the red lights and bus drivers run about 40%, but the bus drivers make up for it with sheer boldness.  

I don't see how this could possibly be worth it.

I made it safely to Suwon, grabbed a kimbap (Korean sushi) roll and a Mt. Dew for dinner, and met up with my friend outside AK Plaza. We had to ask directions, but eventually we found the bar -- Indie Club -- and met up with her friend. The fourth-floor dive bar was pretty empty when we got there, but filled up as the show started. There were three bands, and we knew the singer from the second.

The first band

Here's a video, too. I was surprised how little it mattered that they were singing in Korean; it was still great.



And here's a pic and video of the second band. The lead singer/screamer is my friend's friend from her previous job/city and speaks pretty good English because he wants to work in the US eventually. Before his band went on, he warned me "Don't fall in love." It was priceless.


They were a bit more hardcore, but they did one Linkin Park song and this cover of the popular Korean song "Gangnam Style."


After the show, we hung out with the band members and their friends and/or girlfriends. Again, they apologized for their English, but the beer and jager seemed to help them relax. One girl even chastised the others for speaking too much Korean and told them they were boring me. It was ridiculous how nice and complimentary they were. I learned some offensive Korean words and we played a few games until about 3:30, then a few of us headed to Ansan, where my friend lives.

We went to a 24-hour diner-type place there and got some delicious food. The waiter was funny and told us this was the only thing on the menu we should order because the rest would probably be too spicy. I'm glad we took his advice, because even this was too spicy for me!


Around 5:30, I hopped on the subway and headed home. This time, I got off at the right stop and it was a quick taxi ride back to my neighborhood. Did I mention how much I love public transportation?

Tomorrow, the staff is taking the language teachers out for dinner, so I think more deliciousness lies ahead!

2 comments:

  1. I just want to "like" the Hello Kitty card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The balls o' rice look yummy---not sure about the other stuff!!
    Haven't listened to the bands, yet---can't wait!!!

    Love,
    Mom

    p.s. Thanks--now I know how to spell Evel Knievel!!!

    ReplyDelete