Saturday, September 22, 2012

9/23: Buyin' stuff, learnin' stuff

My Sunday morning has been pretty lazy. I caught up on the new shows that started this week (yay, Parks and Rec!) and Skyped a bit. Morak Mountain is staring me down though, so I might venture out for a hike after writing.

The weather here has cooled off and has settled around a breezy 80 degrees, which feels perfect after the blazing summer heat. Koreans haven't seemed to notice: maybe it's because they don't sweat as much, but everyone seems to wear sweaters and jackets no matter the temperature. Maybe it's the emphases on modesty and fashion, though too. Whatever the reasoning, I sometimes get stares just wearing a V-neck and jeans.

This was not the case in Dongdaemun Market, however. Dongdaemun, which means "great east gate," is one of the eight gates in the fortress wall that used to surround Seoul. Around the gate, a shopping bonanza has formed that would surely threaten the fortress walls. Dongdaemun Market has become a mecca for Korean deal-hunters and tourists of all ages. There are about half a dozen "malls" in this one area that are open from around 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. the next day; some carry up-and-coming designer clothing, while others are more wholesale booths where you can attempt to haggle with the storeowner. The malls are usually seven or eight stories and PACKED with people.

Friday after school, I took the bus to the subway and had about an hour subway ride to the market. Right off the train, there were vendors vying for attention (and money). At a sidewalk stand, I got two solid, quality T-shirts for less than $10 before I even made it to the main area.

My trip was fruitful and frugal: I haggled a $50 purse down to about $35 and made off with a few dressy shirts around $10 each. I also bought a necklace and hair clip from the jolliest woman I have ever met.

Perhaps the best part of the adventure was my dinner: a corn dog with french fries baked right in.

You win, Korea, you win.

The long week and late night shopping finally did me in, and I hopped back on the subway for my journey home. Saturday, I slept in (this cold is still nipping at my heels) then donned some of my new duds for a trip to the National Museum of Korea. Here's some stuff I thought was interesting...

Crossing the Han River by subway

In the stone pagoda garden

Boksingak Bell that was made in 1468 at a Buddhist temple

Ten-story pagoda from a temple

A traditional scholar's reading and writing desk. (What is this a desk for ants?!)

There was an entire section of the museum dedicated to Buddhist paintings; I thought this was strange until I realized most museums in the U.S. have religious sections, as well -- they're just usually a different religion.

The calligraphy section was my favorite.

After covering most of the indoor museum, then seeing the outdoor exhibitions (including the pagodas, the bell, and the Dragon Falls, which were underwhelming), I sat in the park for awhile with my book. It really was a beautiful day. Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

A few things I learned this weekend: how to say "give me a discount" in Korean; the development of pottery led to a more sedentary lifestyle for humans because they could store stuff (never thought about that); and that when everyone gets off a subway train at the same time, it's going to switch directions, so I should get off too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...you've been busy!!! Sounds like fun, too, Laura!!!

    As to the food----that looks like a worm or caramel on the potato---meant to ask you what that was before.

    The bell -- in reference to it being made: reminded me of that infamous scene from "Ghost" -- not sure why, just did!!

    Hopefully we'll get to experience some of these treats and visit some of those places with you!!!

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete