Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11: Ups and downs

Allow me to pick up where I left off in my last post: So after a busy Saturday festival-ing and noraebong-ing, we grabbed breakfast at a little cafe the guys knew well in Gwangju. I got biscuits and gravy with an omelette. Holy cow was it good (no Cafe Berlin, we Tigers stipulated). Again, the restaurant was almost exclusively populated with foreigners and I almost forgot I was in Korea.

Afterwards, we walked around downtown and peeked in a few shops. There was a Mac store with notebooks on sale for about $775! Unfortunately, you have to be a student (and prove it) in order to get the deal. Right now, I'm trying to decide between saving up for a new laptop or taking a trip during our winter vacation. I'm thinking it might be better to take the trip (since I might not be on this side of the world again), and get a laptop when I get back home.

Since I had a four hour journey ahead of me, we took a taxi to the bus terminal and bought our tickets. I had a bit more time than the others, so I loitered in my favorite Korean store -- Artbox -- and bought a Sherlock Holmes anthology that was too good of a deal to pass up.

The express bus ride home was uneventful until we hit traffic about a half hour out of Suwon, turning the half hour into a full hour. Then, at the terminal I figured out a bus that would get me pretty close to home and took a taxi for the last leg. Transportation recap for the weekend: a few subway lines, one train, multiple taxis, one not-so-express bus, one local bus, and a good deal of walking.

Also, I feel it is worth noting that at this point my earlier statement regarding taxis still holds true; I have never once been in a Korean taxi and not thought I was going to die in it. I didn't think it was possible, but the drivers were even more extreme in Gwangju, speeding through red lights and pulling U-turns in the middle of traffic. I don't know how there aren't more accidents.

Long story short, I made it home pretty late Sunday,  so I grabbed a pizza for dinner and went to bed.

Monday was my most stressful day yet. My shower hasn't been working dependably in the morning, so I was told to let the building manager downstairs know when it doesn't work. It didn't; I did. He came up with me and tried all the things I always try: changing the temperature, turning it off and on again, checking the other sink, etc. Once he believed me, he fiddled with something in the hallway and eventually got the hot water working. It still isn't perfect, but it only shut off twice instead of every two minutes.

Then, I was supposed to bring a picture of myself to school, but forgot and apparently it was so important they sent me home between my classes to get it. Usually I do my planning and prep work between classes, so running around town and missing that time made me a bit frantic. Later, I completely forgot about my special Monday class and ended up being 15 minutes late for a 30-minute class. I felt awful, but the Korean teacher was very understanding.

Well when it rains, it pours, so I tried to take some deep breaths and just let the rest of the day roll off. After all, it was my first payday! I almost missed my bus, but finally I made it to Lotte Mart and the ATM.

That balance check did the trick: day overturned. I picked up some things I had wanted, but not needed on my limited budget, and had a peaceful evening tinkering with my new phone and Skyping.

It's September 11th here, and I thought about the U.S. often throughout the day, even if no one else noticed. How strange that's it's been 11 years since the attacks; I can remember it like yesterday.

Today was an easy and productive day at school. Some days I just really feel like I'm teaching these kids useful things. It's a good feeling. Oh, and I borrowed a student's eraser yesterday, and today she gave me this present.

This is a much better present than the broken hair clip another student gave me. Automatic A+!

On the way home, I stopped into a school store I've been eyeing and grabbed some games and supplies. The owner spoke really good English -- he even knew "magnets" when I asked for them.

Now, I'm about to watch Thor, and try to get to sleep early so I can get my sleeping schedule on track! Hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment